Benefits of membership
- Recognition by key external stakeholders as being part of the National Trade Association representing manufacturers, marketers and distributors of a wide range of industry products generally available ‘over the counter’ for use in self medication by New Zealand consumers. This includes non-prescription medicines, dietary supplements and any other complementary healthcare products that meet New Zealand legislative requirements.
- Representation of member company views on issues specifically relating to industry issues to health professionals, health related politicians, health policy makers, consumer organisations, trade partners, trade related organisations and the media. In so doing the SMI strives to positively and proactively influence key interest groups in their attitude towards the availability and access to OTC medicines and other industry products.
- Participation in the development and implementation of self regulatory industry Codes of Practice to demonstrate adherence in practice to the SMI vision of “better health for New Zealanders through the development of responsible self medication”.
This ensures industry commitment to the principle base code and associated guidelines.
- Advisory and advocacy service available on a confidential basis covering a wide range of industry sector issues particularly where individual company exposure may be detrimental to particular business partner relations or the issue has wider industry implications.
- Communication of relevant industry issues to the SMI company delegate including regular email updates of current local and international issues/progress. International links are maintained through the membership of the World Self Medication Industry (WSMI).
- Attendance at the annual conference and seminar meetings aimed at providing SMI members with an added value programme and the opportunity to meet industry colleagues. This also includes any specific advertising/marketing, regulatory affair seminars hosted by the SMI.